Jean-Eric Vergne impressed by acquiring pole position for the FIA Formula E Championship race in Punta del Este, Uruguay. The Frenchman lost his Formula 1 seat recently, but recovers quite well in the all-electric racing series. It was his first outing in Formula E, representing the Andretti outfit. He pushed for pole in the first out of four qualifying groups and even brushed the wall. Nobody was able to beat his time.
eDams Renault racing driver Nicolas Prost and Sebastien Buemi came close to the time of Vergne but they eventually took third and fourth place as Nelson Piquet jr. improved to second in the third group.
Looks like something got stuck underneath my car and cause me to go straight on.
— sam bird (@sambirdracing) December 13, 2014
Not only Vergne touched the wall, many drivers found it difficult to keep the car far away of slippery sand. As the track is located directly alongside the beach, sand will be an issue in the race. A few drivers became a victim, like Putrajaya race winner Sam Bird going into the wall. The Virgin Racing driver will start the race from the back of the grid as he was unable to set a lap time. The same goes for Jerome d’Ambrosio. The Belgian touched the wall and brought his car back to the garage. Stephane Sarrazin made a pirouette while going into the chicane.
Jaime Alguersuari (Virgin Racing) starts from sixth on the grid with Beijing winner Lucas di Grassi (Audi Sport ABT) alongside him.
“I wasn’t expecting that I would get pole position,” Vergne said. “And I don’t know what to expect from the race as many things will be new for me. Take that driver change for example! We’ll see where it goes from here and hopefully we can take a podium or a win home.”
The race starts at 16:00 hr local time. Follow it live with timing and multimedia updates at our LIVE page. Streaming is available via the official Formula E app in selected territories or watch it on TV.
Update: Bruno Senna has been excluded from qualifying after the team was working on the car within five minutes of the start of the session. He will start at the back of the grid.
FIA Formula E Championship – Punta del Este ePrix – Qualifying
- Jean-Eric Vergne, Andretti, 1:15.408s
- Nelson Piquet, China Racing, 1:15.530s
- Nicolas Prost, e.dams-Renault, 1:15.722s
- Sebastien Buemi, e.dams-Renault, 1:15.842s
- Jaime Alguersuari, Virgin Racing, 1:16.053s
- Lucas di Grassi, Audi Sport ABT, 1:16.108s
- Jarno Trulli, Trulli, 1:16.144s
- Nick Heidfeld, Venturi, 1:16.225s
- Daniel Abt, Audi Sport ABT, 1:16.374s
- Karun Chandhok, Mahindra Racing, 1:16.416s
- Oriol Servia, Dragon Racing, 1:16.811s
- Antonio Felix da Costa, Amlin Aguri, 1:16.865s
- Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi, 1:17.025s
- Antonio Garcia, China Racing, 1:17.653s
- Salvador Duran, Amlin Aguri, 1:17.810s
- Michela Cerruti, Trulli, 1:20.206s
- Sam Bird, Virgin Racing, no time set
- Jerome d’Ambrosio, Dragon Racing, no time set
- Matthew Brabham, Andretti, no time set
- Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing, disqualified