NEXTEV TCR is thought to be reviewing the feasibility of its twin-motor powertrain for the third season of the Formula E Championship.
Despite propelling Nelson Piquet jnr to his inaugural world championship, the NEXTEV TCR 001has been on the back foot in season two, with the weight of its twin-motor set-up compromising handling and torque driveability. The team have made progress however via software upgrades and via the acquisition of former Team Aguri engineer Gerry Hughes.
Team principal Steven Lu told Autosport that a decision on which direction NEXTEV TCR will make with their drivetrain will be made before the end of 2015.
“Weight is one of the things we have to improve for season three,” he said. “The next thing we have to work on is the efficiency. There are a few options for us right now, we’re trying to make decisions on what to do. We’ve got something really innovative so we’re trying to see if it works or not. Gerry [Hughes] is looking more for season three but also to try and find solutions for the current season.”
Like NEXTEV TCR, DS Virgin Racing are the only other team on the Formula E grid to have implemented a dual-motor powertrain concept this season, with the latter team initially making more headway with a number of top five qualifying results. Intriguingly, on the fast straights at Punta Del Este, Nelson Piquet’s NEXTEV TCR 001 looked favourable up against Jean-Eric Vergne’s DSV-01, until pressure from Vergne forced last year’s champion into a mistake.
Final homologation of season three powertrains is not due until July 1 but crash testing must be completed by April 1 if NEXTEV TCR are to consider any major changes to their powertrain philosophy.
A full interview with Steven Lu can be found in the December issue of eRacing Magazine.