Panoz, the renowned constructor that has been pioneering with racing vehicles, has presented its latest development: an all-electric road-racing sports car concept. The firm Green4U Technologies, belonging to Don Panoz, has the goal to deliver performance and range similar to internal combustion engine and hybrid powertrain race cars, to be able to compete in long-distance endurance races.
Don Panoz unveiled the new race car concept in the 24 Hours of Le Mans Village. The environment isn’t new to Panoz as the company brought Sparky (the 1998 Panoz Q9 GTR-1 Hybrid) and the DeltaWing to Le Mans. “And we’ll do the same thing with the all-electric GT-EV,” he said.
“We’re debuting it here at Le Mans because of this iconic race’s history where the brightest and most ambitious and tenacious competitors always push the motorsports and automotive boundaries.”
His colleague Jack Perkowski, CEO and co-founder of Green4U Technologies, doesn’t rule out participating in the event. “Our goal is to run our car in a race, perhaps even applying for a future Garage 56 slot, and apply what we learn to our Green4U EV vehicle designs,” he said.
“The development of an all-electric race car that can compete with the best internal combustion engine race cars places Green4U at the forefront of electric vehicle technology.”
To make endurance racing possible, the firm will be switching battery packs. That should take up to the same time as a petrol or hybrid car would take to fill the tanks.
This is the race car’s initial design and performance targets:
- 400 to 450 kW total power
- 175 to 180 mph top speed
- Removable battery pack design enabling battery exchanges during pit stops
- 90- to 110-mile range in race conditions
- All-wheel drive with two electric motors (One driving the front wheels and the second powering the rear wheels)
- 2,200 to 2,750 lbs. total mass with battery pack
- Roughly 192 x 72 x 48 inches (L x W x H)
- A unique carbon fiber chassis design with an offset closed cockpit
- Active aerodynamics to reduce drag on straightaways and increase range and performance
- Regenerative braking technology on all wheels